CAT Examination 2021
Registration for CAT 2021 closed on September 22 at 5:00 p.m. The registration period was supposed to expire on September 15, but the deadline for submitting CAT application forms was pushed back a week. This year, over 2.31 lakh people applied for the CAT exam. From September 25 (10:00 AM) until September 27, the CAT application form correction window will be open (5:00 PM). Only during the form correction time will candidates be able to update their image signature and test city preference.
On November 28, the CAT 2021 exam will be held. The CAT 2021 exam will be held in three slots at around 425 test centers in 159 locations throughout India, according to IIM Ahmedabad. The design, examination structure, and curriculum for the CAT exam 2021 have not been changed. The exam will last two hours, and there will be 76 questions on the paper. COVID-19 rules, such as social separation, wearing a face mask, and staggered admission at exam centers, will be followed during CAT 2021. On October 27, 2021, the CAT 2021 admit card will be released.
- Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, eligibility restrictions for students have been reduced in terms of required graduation marks. In their CAT 2021 application form, candidates can write “promotion/pass.” Only candidates who are finishing their bachelor’s degree this year or are in their last year of a bachelor’s programme (graduation years 2021 and 2022) are eligible for this exemption.
- The application fee for CAT 2021 has been increased: The application fee has been increased by 10% over the previous year. The CAT 2021 cost has been hiked from Rs 2,000 to Rs 2,200 for General and all unreserved category students, and from Rs 1,000 to Rs 1,100 for Reserved category students.
- The number of CAT test cities has grown: The CAT 2021 exam will be held in 159 places throughout India this year. There were 156 cities where the exam was administered last year. The exam is anticipated to be held in 425 test centres across these 159 locations.
- The number of people who want to take the CAT test has increased: The total number of cities from which applicants can choose in the application form for CAT 2021 test centre allotment has been increased to six. In the event of a COVID-19 pandemic, this will provide students with more options for exam city selection.
- Srinagar is one of the test cities: Candidates can now choose their desired exam city as Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir).The CAT exam will be held in the city for the first time.
CAT 2021 Exam Highlights
The table below indicates some of the key highlights of CAT 2021 exam that candidates must know. Before reading all about CAT 2021 exam in detail, take a look at the highlights:
|Exam Name||Common Admission Test (CAT)|
|Conducting Institute||IIM Ahmedabad|
|Exam frequency||Once a Year|
|Exam Schedule||November 28, 2021|
|Exam Fees||Rs 2,200 (General category) and Rs 1,100 (Reserved category)|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 50 % aggregate (45 % for SC/ST students)|
|Number of Applications||2.31 lakh (In 2021)|
|Purpose of Examination||Admission into IIMs, SPJIMR, FMS, MDI, IMT and over 1,200 B-Schools in India|
|CAT Syllabus||· Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)|
· Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
· Quantitative Ability (QA)
|CAT Pattern||CBT with MCQs and non-MCQs|
|No. of test cities||159|
|Exam Helpdesk Number||1-800-210-1088 (Toll Free)|
CAT 2021 Exam Eligibility Criteria
The minimum eligibility criteria for CAT exam is graduation. Read below for more details on CAT eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree with minimum 50 per cent aggregate or equivalent CGPA (45 per cent aggregate for SC, ST and PWD/DA category) from a recognised board or university to participate in CAT 2021
- The candidate must have completed a professional degree (CA/ CS/ ICWA) with required percentage
- Candidates appearing for the final year of bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification or awaiting result are also eligible to apply for CAT 2021 exam
CAT Exam 2021: Important Points
CAT 2021 application window: The CAT 2021 application window remains open for about 45 days (August 4 to September 22 for CAT 2021). Candidates get about a month and a half to fill the form. One can register on the official website first and fill the form later. However, they need to submit the CAT 2021 application form and pay the fees before the deadline.
No additional cost of IIM form: The CAT 2021 application form doubles up as the application for IIMs too. This means, the CAT 2021 application form includes the field in which the candidate can choose to apply in up to 20 IIMs. The candidate will not be required to fill a separate application form of the institute to participate in the WAT-PI round of those IIMs which they shall have selected in the application form of CAT 2021 exam.
Exam in Single Day: CAT 2021 exam’s all three sessions – morning (8:30 AM to 10:30 AM), afternoon (12:30 PM to 2:30 PM), and evening ( 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM)
Format of exam: CAT is a computer based test conducted at designated exam centers in 159 cites. Each candidate is allotted a computer system inside the exam hall. They have to login with their CAT 2021 credentials to start the test. To enter chosen attempt for an MCQ, the candidates have to use the mouse pad and form entering answer of a non-MCQ, the candidates have to use the keyboard. Limited time is allotted for each section of the CAT question paper so the candidates must not waste time.
Choice of courses: CAT 2021 provides choice of 50 MBA programmes in IIMs. The courses include MBA, PGP, EMBA, PGPeX, PhD, Executive PhD and FPM
What to Expect from CAT 2021 Question Paper?
Because there will be no change in the number of seats available for the CAT 2021 exam this year, the question paper and test structure will be the same as last year. The following are some of the important things to expect from the CAT 2021 question paper:
- VARC, DILR, and Quantitative Aptitude will be the three components of the CAT 2021 exam paper.
- The following will be the order of the CAT 2021 question paper: Section 1 contains VARC, Section 2 has DILR, and Section 3 contains Quantitative Aptitude.
- There will be 24 questions on VARC, 26 questions on DILR, and 26 questions on Quantitative Aptitude.
- While VARC and DILR will have both MCQs and non-MCQs, Quantitative Aptitude will only have MCQs.
CAT 2021 Exam Preparation Tips
Aspirants for the CAT 2021 exam should begin studying early. To achieve a 99+ percentile on the exam, you must prepare for at least six months. Conceptual clarity, practise, and revision are the three pillars of CAT 2021 preparation. Those who are taking the CAT exam for the first time should begin studying considerably earlier (by March), first familiarising themselves with the material and exam structure, and then devising a study strategy. Below are some helpful hints for starting your CAT 2021 exam preparation:
- Make a topic list based on your talents and weaknesses.
- Join online study groups on social media sites like Facebook, YouTube, and Telegram.
- For CAT preparation, gather necessary study materials and recommended books.
- Make a daily schedule and assign one topic from VARC, DILR, and QA to each day.
- On the same day, practise two or three questions from the topic you’ve been studying to see how much you’ve retained.
- Gradually raise the rate at which you cover the amount of topics every day.
CAT 2021 Admit Card
CAT 2021 admit card will be issued in the second week of October on the official website. The CAT admit card is a mandatory document to be carried to the exam centre, thus candidates must download a color print out of the same. It is advised to download two copies, as one copy is to be submitted at the exam centre. The CAT 2021 admit card will carry test centre location, exam slot, reporting time, other related information. Here’s the process to download CAT 2021 admit card.
- Log on to CAT website
- Click on login tab
- Enter CAT 2021 application number and password
- Go to admit card section
- Click on download
CAT Exam Day Guidelines
Candidates appearing for the exam must carry the following documents to the exam centre to get entry inside the exam hall:
- Admit card: Candidates appearing for the CAT 2021 exam must carry print out of their admit cards with photo affixed on it. Entry without admit card and photo ID will not be permitted.
- Identity Proof: Along with the admit card, candidates are required to carry a photo ID proof such as College ID (must be supported with a valid debit/credit card), employer ID, driving license, passport, PAN card, Voter ID or Aadhaar card.
- Name change document: In case a candidate changed their name, they will be required to carry a name change certificate/document.
Items prohibited inside CAT 2021 exam hall:
- Calculator, watch, phone, iPad or any electronic item
- Bags and purses
- Eatables and beverages
- Jewellery and accessories that contain metal
- Jackets and clothes with pockets
- Closed footwear
CAT 2021 Result and Scorecard
The results of the CAT 2021 exam will be released in the first week of January. The outcome could be announced as early as January 1 or 2, 2022. The CAT 2021 exam scorecard will be available in PDF format, which may be accessed by login ID and password on the CAT 2021 website. The raw scores (sectional and overall) and percentiles (section and overall) for each candidate will be included in the CAT 2021 result cum scorecard.
Here’s the process to download CAT 2021 result.
- Log on to CAT website
- Click on CAT 2021 result/scorecard tab
- Enter CAT application number and password
- Go to scorecard section
- Click on download
- Soon after CAT 2021 result announcement, the IIMs will begin IIM shortlisting process for MBA admission.
FAQs Regarding CAT 2021 Exam
Q: What is the CAT 2021 exam date?
A: CAT 2021 exam date is November 28. The exam date was officially announced by IIM Ahmedabad on July 31. The CAT exam will be held in three slots like last year. The three slots are: Morning, Slot 1: 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM Afternoon, Slot 2: 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM Evening, Slot 3: 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM
Q: What is the CAT 2021 application form correction schedule?
A: CAT 2021 registration cum application process ended on September 22. The form correction process will begin from September 25 and end on September 27. The canidates will be able to edit photo, signature and test city preference.
Q: Is there an age limit to appear in CAT 2021 exam?
A: No, there is no age limit defined to appear in the CAT exam. Any candidate who is a graduate or is in the final year of graduation is eligible to apply for CAT. Working professionals are also eligible to appear in CAT.
- am in my second year of graduation. Can I appear for CAT 2021 for practice purpose?
A: No, the candidate must fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria for CAT to be able to appear for the exam. If you haven’t completed graduation and/or are not in the final year of bachelor’s degree, your application form will be rejected.
Q: What are the scholarship schemes in IIMs that candidates appearing in CAT can avail of upon admission?
A: IIMs provide scholarships to meritorious candidates and the ones belonging to the economically weaker section. The candidates can avail this benefit by submitting the relevant documents at the time of admission.